As an unpaid carer, it is important to look after your own health, so your ability to care is not affected. The following points are important for all unpaid carers;
- Register with your GP – telling your GP that you are an unpaid carer will help them to understand and support you better
- Health Checks – prioritising your own health, ask at your GP practice. Also available via Carers Federation clinic, call 0115 9629 310 for more details. The importance of monitoring your blood pressure. Self help care and advice available at NHS Choices
- Flu Vaccine – unpaid carers are a priority group, so you are entitled to get this for free by asking at your GP practice. This vaccine is important for you as a preventative measure for the person you care for.
- Counselling – Carers Federation can provide specialist counselling for unpaid carers living in Nottinghamshire or who are registered with a City GP, call 0115 9629 310 for more information. Let’s Talk Wellbeing is available in Nottingham City and Nottinghamshire County, and offers a range of psychotherapy treatments. GPs can also make referrals for counselling.
- Stress Management – being an unpaid carer can be stressful, so it is important to recognise your stress triggers and know how to manage stress in your daily life. Carers Federation also run workshops for carers, including one about coping with stress
- Carer Training – Carers Federation offer a range of carer workshops that look at different aspects of caring including communication, looking after yourself, coping with stress, managing medication and exploring personal ambition.